Ecigarettes are battery-operated devices that give off nicotine vapor. Their aim is to provide the user a similar sensation as that obtained from smoking the conventional tobacco cigarettes without really producing smoke. Ecigarettes are also known as vaporizer cigarettes or vape pens. These elektroniske sigaretter are mostly used by smokers who are interested in cutting down on smoking.
How do the ecigarettes work?
The ecigarette is a long tube that usually looks like a cigarette, a cigar, or a pen. The electronic device has a cartridge that can be refilled with an eliquid. It also has a coil that heats up the liquid to its boiling point as well as some rechargeable batteries.
When the user takes a puff, on the mouthpiece, the heating element vaporizes the eliquid to form the vapor that is then inhaled. The nicotine levels in the eliquid vary from zero to high.
There are different flavors of the eliquid in the market meaning that the users are spoilt for choice.
What are the benefits of vaping as opposed to smoking?
The ecigarettes are generally less hazardous compared to the conventional cigarettes. This is because there is no combustion that usually happens so there’s no production of smoke.
These electronic devices bypass many of the health risks that are associated with tobacco smoking. When tobacco burns, it produces more than 4,000 chemicals. Of these, 69 are carcinogens and put you at a high risk of getting cancer.
Some of the chemicals that are found in cigarettes include benzene, lead, arsenic, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons, and so many more. All these are absent in the eliquid that is used with electronic cigarettes.
Studies have shown that ecigarettes are not only beneficial to smokers who are cutting down but also to those who want to quit. People who stop smoking lower their chances of contracting cancer by more than 25%
Are there any risks?
Vaping is not recommended for pregnant women, young people, or those who have never smoked before. Most young people feel that it’s okay to start vaping instead of smoking, this is not true. Manufacturers offer a variety of flavors and market the habit as safe and cool with the aim of attracting more teenagers and adolescents.
Here are some of the reasons why ecigarettes may be considered as harmful:
- The ecigarettes contain nicotine which is an addictive substance. Nicotine is hazardous during pregnancy as it affects fetal development.
- Vaping exposes the lungs to different substances such as diacetyl. These substances can result to popcorn lung which is an irreversible lung disease.
- The eliquids contain dissolved flavorings and toxicants which are potentially harmful.
- Fatal poisoning may occur after inhaling the eliquid vapor or in the event that you accidentally swallow it.
- It is not guaranteed that vaping will help you stop smoking altogether.
- There is a high chance that if young people start vaping they will most likely start using tobacco as well.
- There’s a risk that if you start using nicotine you might feel the urge to start using other drugs such as cocaine.
- In the attempt to produce stronger hits or a larger cloud of vapor, one might end up choking.